Time Deadlines for U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims Cases
- You will receive a Notice of Docketing shortly after filing an appeal with the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. Obtain the date of the Notice of Docketing.
- Calculate 60 calendar days from the Notice of Docketing for when the Record Before the Agency (“RBA”) is due.
- From the time that VA mails the RBA, calculate 19 days for a response. During this time, you must review the documents to make sure they are complete, accurate, and legible.
- If the RBA is satisfactory, you will notify the Court that you accept the RBA.
- The Court will then issue an order directing that a brief be filed within 60 days. You must mark your calendar and prepare your brief within this time. The Court will also send a form for an informal brief. This form guides you through the process of submitting a pro se brief to the Court.
Keep in mind that either you or the VA attorney can request a 45-day extension of time for any item required under the Court’s rules.