Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)
...provides tax-free monthly payments to eligible retired veterans with combat-related injuries. With CRSC, veterans can receive both their full military retirement pay and their VA disability compensation if the injury is combat-related.
Eligibility: To apply for CRSC, retired veterans with combat-related injuries must meet all of the following criteria:
- Active or Reserve component with 20 years of creditable service or medically retired.
- Receiving military retired pay.
- Have a 10 percent or greater VA-rated injury.
- Military retired pay is reduced by VA disability payments (VA Waiver).
In addition, veterans must be able to provide documentary evidence that their injuries were a result of one of the following:
- Training that simulates war (e.g., exercises, field training)
- Hazardous duty (e.g., flight, diving, parachute duty)
- An instrumentality of war (e.g., combat vehicles, weapons, Agent Orange)
- Armed conflict (e.g., gunshot wounds, Purple Heart)